Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Finally An Answer

We have been attending The Children's Center as a family for awhile now. LB has been struggling with things at home for some time. If I really sit down and think about it, it goes back to when he was a young baby. I always thought that something was different about him, but anytime I brought up concerns they were quickly brushed away as "hormones."

After hearing "Oh you're just paranoid" for so long you start to believe it yourself! But, when I went back to work full time things really changed. I thought at first he just needed time to adjust, but he didn't seem to get used to it like Rooster did. He started acting out more, and more! There was an incident that peaked my concern, and I went in search of help. That's when I found The Children's Center. They're fantastic! A little slow, but worth the wait! After tons of family meetings, questionnaires, and a lot of paper work they have come to the conclusion that my little monkey is autistic.

Yeah, I'll be honest, it's hard to swallow! I have hopes and dreams for my children! What they'll do and who they'll become and then, someone slaps a label on them that makes me question if all those things are still possible! Will he be a scholar, an athlete, a missionary, a husband, a father? Is he going to have to work super hard and fight for everything? I have no doubt he can, but that is not the dream I had for him.

I'm sure most of you are thinking in one way or another, Really? I know I did. But yes, really. He is definately on the higher functioning end of the spectrum, for which I am grateful.

I don't mean to sound all gloom and doom. I do know things will be fine, LB will be fine! I just have SO many unanswered questions, it's frustrating! I want to give him every opportunity to have the most success! I don't know how to do that now.....

Ahhhh! Anyway tomorrow is a new day, LB starts a new pre-school at The Children's Center I'm attending a parenting class and doing the best I can to keep my head above the water with all that is going on in this crazy life of mine.....this issue only being one small part of the BIGGER picture!

I believe I agreed to all this, before I came to earth. So next time, I will be reading the fine print!!!!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, Kimm. I am so sorry. That has to be very hard news. But, you are a fighter. He is a fighter. I am glad you found out now and have great support from the Children's Center. Know that you will be in my prayers. You are strong!

It seems trite to comment here about something so important, but just doing it so you know I care. I will talk to you more later. Sending my love!

annie said...

I never would have thought...its such a shock. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Also a friend in my ward has an autistic son. If you want I can see if she would be willing to talk with you. Let me know. Love You

Kelly said...

He is going to grow up to be a fine young man! We love him so much he is such a character. what would we do without our little LB??

Amy said...

Kimm... Oh... I had no idea... I am looking forward to talking to you more about this. I would love to hear about your journey to discovery. I love you, Kimm!!! Let's talk more...

Unknown said...

As hard as it is to get a label, it is nice to know what you can start to research and since he is still so young... everything will be fine. We are here to help you in any way we can.